Tuesday, May 31, 2011

First Time Healing in Cataclysm!

For those that don't know, I am mainly a Retribution Paladin.  I like to get up close and hit things, and with the backup of a good healer and tank, I can do just that.  However, for about... eeeerm... 5 months now, I have been dabbling in healing.  In order to have 2 viable specializations for raiding, I chose to become a healer.  I had made a new paladin months back with the express purpose of being ONLY Holy, so that way I could learn how to heal from level 1 all the way to 85.  While I was leveling that character, my main paladin picked up items here and there to create her own Holy set.

And so tonight, I finally got the last bit of gems and enchants taken care of so that I could try my hand at healing a 5-Man Cataclysm dungeon!  Off I went, into Grim Batol!  o.o  Don't worry, only normal mode so I wouldn't totally get rage-kicked if things went south.  It didn't go badly; I didn't lose one person (though I came lose a few times), and I was fairly prepared (though I did have to pull open my spell book to put Holy Radiance on my hot bar).  It could have been much, much worse!  It also could have been better.  XD

One thing that is blatantly obvious about Holy Paladins: they are not raid healers.  They are meant to be tank healers.  As soon as more than 3 people started taking damage, I found myself quickly behind the 8-ball.  Part of this may also be because of my inexperience, but I felt like if everyone was doing their job (don't stand in the fire kthnx), all was perfect.  Another thing that I realized is that what Paladins lack in raid heals, they make up for in utility.  The Hands (Protection, Freedom, Salvation) alone are incredibly useful in moments where things get rough, and I'm sure that I'm overlooking other spells and skills that will be lending themselves to my future victories.  :3

I shall blog more about my Holy Paladin experiments here at some other date, but for now, I'm going to go see about finding a Baradin Hold raid.

0 comments:

Post a Comment