Friday, September 7, 2012

Talent Changes and Fun Times in 5.0

With the latest patch, there has been a lot to explore and get used to on our beloved characters in WoW.  The biggest change seems to have been the switch from traditional "trees" of specializations to 6 tiered skill specialization options.  This, on first glance, seemed to be a large step away from the familiar trees that make their appearances in MMOs across the world, and perhaps a step in the wrong direction.  However, after really looking it through on my paladin, I am thinking that this is an okay thing.  Sure, change scares players at first, but the good players embrace it and make it work in some way!  I am pleased that it seems that Blizzard has reversed direction and instead of making things "difficult to learn, easy to master," they have opted instead for "easy to learn, difficult to master," which really makes me happy.  In WoTLK and Cataclysm, all one had to do was find a popular build for your character, get gear, and then faceroll your way to victory.  This lead to many people having ridiculously geared out characters and situations leading to frustrated raid leaders wondering why their top DPS was standing in the fire.  The new talent system really gives players the option to change their character and the way that they play.  Essentially, all holy paladins may be similar, but the beauty and mastery of one's character comes from the talents they now choose and their gameplay style!  It will be interesting to see how this plays out in Mists of Pandaria.

Akane sporting her Replica Lightforge set.
I really like this pic.  <3
In other news, I GOT THE SPRITE DARTER HATCHLING!!!  I must say that this one was definitely harder to farm than the Fox Kit, in large part due to the ridiculously low drop rate.  While committing genocide is not something I relish, I will do it to get my hands on adorable companion pets.
Akane & her Sprite Darter!  (Lawbringer Set)
People aiming to snag this little technicolor pet, I encourage you to take your time.  Do an hour or two of farming here, another couple hours at another time all together...  I did most of my farming in the evenings, but when I had a chance today during lunch, I gave it a shot again and was pleased as punch to get this little guy fairly quickly into my session.  I still killed what seemed like a HELL of a lot of them beforehand though (1500+), and am glad to cross this pet off my Wish List.  ^.^

And finally, on the mage front:  I'm generally pleased overall with the changes to my mage, but still feel like the talents are skewed too much toward fire and frost (consequently, I am betting that we will see a definite rise in fire mages in the next few months).  I'm still playing with this character to bring out more DPS from her.  More news on that as it develops.

And now, I bring you... gratuitous fun with 5.0 Polar Bear Polymorph!

Polar Bear Den!

Argent Tournament Polar Bears!

...Whut?

It FLEW AWAY when I got too close to the rhino!  o.o
Someone should go get that polar bear down from there...

0 comments:

Post a Comment